Friday, June 27, 2008

Fruit Smoothies.....healthy or unhealthy...you choose...literally

I recently went back to my hometown of Burton, Michigan to see some old friends. Also, my best friend from high school's little boy was graduating high school! When did THAT happen? You have to stop and smell the roses everyone! As the song goes, "time keeps on ticking, ticking, ticking, into the future."

Anyway, I digress...

My friend wanted to pick my fitness brain while I was there, which is fine. But when I told her what she didn't want to hear, she said "You're making me mad!" Hahahahhaha....making her mad because she said she has a fruit smoothie every once and a while and considers them healthy. My response to that was just to make sure she checked out the calories and sugar content. They can be pretty high in sugar and calories if you don't watch out. Read the following example:

*************
Worst Drink:
Jamba Juice Chocolate Moo'd Power Smoothie (30 fl oz)
900 calories
10 g fat
183 g carbs
166 g sugar
Jamba Juice calls it a smoothie; we call it a milk shake. In fact, this beverage contains more sugar than 2 pints of Ben and Jerry's Butter Pecan ice cream.
**************

Hey, an apple tree is healthy...but if you eat the whole tree maybe not so healthy right?
Ok and maybe you wouldn't order a (30 fl oz) Jamba Juice Chocolate Moo'd Power Smoothie. But think of the people that probably do and THEY think it's HEALTHY! It' has fruit in it right? It simply MUST be healthy! Not.

Find out about the sugar content and check out the calories. I suggest getting a smaller ounce cup, add some protein powder, if you use dairy go with low fat plain yogurt or non-fat milk and so on. Remember that fruit is also fairly acidic (some not as much), so that can affect your teeth as well.

So, is it bad? Yes, if you order it bad....Not so bad if you pay attention to what you're ordering. I will say this, Jamba Juice has done a GREAT job marketing that they are healthy. They don't mention that it is YOUR choice to make it healthy.

Drink up (but be aware)!

Yours in fitness,

Dawn Franklin
Want to lose 6-12 pounds in 28 days?
Check out how with Adventure Boot Camp...click on the link below:
http://www.ahwatukeebootcamp.com/