Monday, June 16, 2008

Setting Goals

If you want to achieve anything in life, set goals. I was never one to do this, I just spent my time free falling through life. It kind of went like this: I was born, went to elementary school, then high school, then college, then started a corporate job with EDS (Electronic Data Systems) on a General Motors account, then there was a big blur, then I moved from Michigan to Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh area), then back to Michigan, got some other corporate job with an ad agency, then more of a blur, then out to Chicago (THAT WAS FUN!), then more of a blur, then lost my job and decided "what do I REALLY want to do with my life? What is it that really lights me up and what is it that I just can't help but share with others?" I always wanted to have a job that allowed me to help other people. I just never took the time to sit back and figure out what that would be. Losing my job was a blessing in disguise as that is when I started looking into personal training. With 'spare time' on my hands I went through an intensive 6 month personal training program in Chicago. Right from the beginning I LOVED it! It was kind of a blur in the beginning, but then I started setting goals for myself.

AND I started WRITING DOWN MY GOALS. The funny thing is, when I wrote down my goals, I achieved them! What? Wow! What a concept, I thought. Things were not such a big blur anymore. It is a simple tool to help give you clarity. You can use goals to achieve your fitness goals as well. Below is a 12 step strategy to reaching your goals, whatever they may be...it's a list I received in one of my many personal growth classes I have taken over the years. Try it...you may start reaching YOUR goals!

1. DESIRE - Have a genuine desire before you ever set a goal.
2. BELIEF - Make certain that you believe you can achieve this goal, but make it a stretch to accomplish.
3. WRITE IT DOWN - I cannot stress this one enough.
4. BENEFITS - List the benefits for yourself, your family, and others, that will result from your reaching this goal
5. ANALYZE - Analyze the steps you will need to take to accomplish the goal.
6. DEADLINE - You must set a firm deadline, or .....it is just a wish.
7. OBSTACLES - What do you anticipate will get in your way. How will you handle each one as it occurs. There will always be obstacles, don't let them surprise you.
8. KNOWLEDGE - Acquire all the knowledge you will need to know (from books, tapes, courses, and people that you can learn from)
9. PEOPLE - Find the people that can help you.
10. PLAN - Use steps 7,8, & 9 to develop a clear plan to reach your goal.
11. PICTURE - Visualize yourself as already arrived; every single day! See and feel the accomplished goal as if it has already been done!
12. PERSIST - Never give up! Never give up! Never give up! Keep on striving until you reach your goal - whatever it may be!

TO YOUR GOALS!

Dawn Franklin
Want to lose 6-12 pounds in 28 days?
Join Ahwatukee Adventure Boot Camp...click on the link below: