Tuesday, June 3, 2008

To weigh your self is futile.....

The scale for many years has been drilled into our heads as a GREAT way to determine how our fitness program is working out. I mean, it's even used on THE BIGGEST LOSER program. No more, especially for the ladies, no more. If you are reading this blog entry right now, take a moment to walk into your bathroom, grab your scale, walk to your kitchen and toss it into the trash where it belongs:-) Better yet, grab your purse, your keys, hop into the car and drive to the nearest dumpster and chuck it in there.....ah, freedom!

From now on in my bootcamps I will weigh my ladies the first day of camp and then never again...I have trained too long now to know this is a number that women ponder over day after day. The only reason you need to weigh is if you are doing some kind of body fat test. The best measurement tools are these: how you look, how you feel, how your clothes are fitting. Taking a few simple measurments is useful as well.

LISTEN UP AND LISTEN UP GOOD LADIES: the number on the scale is NOT how much fat you have.....it measures your TOTAL WEIGHT. The scale measures your total fat, muscle, bone and connective tissues. So stop obsessing with the scale, it's not worth it.

Judge your success by how consistent you are with your workouts....did you make it to all of your workouts this week? Judge your success by asking, did I eat clean this week? Do my pants feel looser? Can I do more pushups now than when I first started Ahwatukee Boot Camp? Did my timed mile improve after 4 weeks of Ahwatukee Adventure Boot Camp?

There was a time in my life when I was trying to get back into shape. I was a size 13/14 and 170 lbs. There was a point when I lost 1 or 2 pant sizes and NO WEIGHT at all and I didn't care because I lost 2 pant sizes and I was feeling great! Right now I weigh 140 pounds....that's right...some people have guessed that I weigh 120 pounds! No way! I would feel sick if I weighed 120 pounds. The more I try and get into shape, the more my weight actually goes up...and that's ok because it is LEAN MUSCLE. Remember that 1 pound of muscle burns approximately 50 to 60 calories when you are just sitting down! However, 1 pound of fat only burns approximately 5 or 6 calories when are just sitting down. Bring on the MUSCLE! I'll Take It! "Thank you, may I have some more please?"

So, you could gain 1 pound of muscle and lose 1 pound of fat and the scale will show you have not lost a pound. But you have just increased your metabolism because that 1 pound of muscle will burn 50 to 60 calories at rest. The more you build lean muscle, the more you become a fat burning machine!

So ladies....stop the obsession TODAY!

Yours in Fitness, DAWN

Want to lose inches and burn fat in 28 days?
Join the #1 Outdoor Fitness Program in AZ!
www.AhwatukeeBootCamp.com